Before I kick of my healthy eating theme in May I thought I’d share a few not-so-healthy recipes, starting with a strawberry topped vegan-friendly genoise sponge cake. As the sponge is pretty flat and there is an equal fruit to sponge ratio, this could be classed as a healthy cake (if there’s such a thing!). Happy Baking.
- 4oz vegan margarine
- 6oz caster sugar
- 8oz self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 200ml unsweetened soya milk
- Icing sugar and water (based on instructions from the brand you buy)
- 7 fresh strawberries (1 whole, 6 halved).
- Preheat the oven at gas mark 6.
- Combine the margarine, sugar, flour, baking powder and milk in a large mixing bowl until it forms a smooth cake mix.
- Line or grease a large circular baking tin.
- Pour the cake mixture into the baking tin, spreading the mixture evenly and thinly.
- Bake the cake mixture in the oven for 35 minutes at gas mark 6.
- When the cake is golden brown, remove it from the oven and place on a wire cooling wrack to cool.
- Whilst the cake is cooling mix your icing sugar by following instructions from the specific brand.
- When the cake is cool place it onto a plate or cake stand.
- Pour 3/4 of the icing onto the top of the cake.
- Decorate the cake by topping it with strawberries.
- Tip the remainder of the icing over the strawberries.
- Put the finished cake into the fridge for an hour to allow the icing to set.